Thursday, June 08, 2006

What I Believe

  1. My son is the most amazing creature on earth.
  2. My husband is the most patient creature on earth.
  3. I am addicted to computers and have been since my first “real job” out of college. I like to program them, play on them, learn on them, and communicate with them.
  4. Computers are the 20th century’s printing press.
  5. The Internet is the 21st century’s printing press.
  6. I like warm weather much better than cold weather. The only redeeming quality about cold weather is that it gives me an excuse to light a fire and knit warm things.
  7. We do not remember to count our blessings enough.
  8. Swimming is a great sport because it gets us closer to our origins than any other experience can.
  9. We all need water: to drink it, see it, be soothed by it and fear it.
  10. Angels on earth include children and those who work with them.
  11. Angels on earth include hospice workers and Stephen’s ministers.
  12. There is a God.
  13. God is not perfect – just look at us.
  14. God does speak to us – we just have a very hard time listening.
  15. New York State is trying to kill itself. It will not succeed. But it will take a very long time to fail.
  16. It is a great exercise to make a list of things you believe in…second only to developing your own personal mission statement.
  17. Everyone needs to work.
  18. By criticizing others, we tear ourselves down.
  19. Whatever we focus on we will get. (Thank you Mike Rizzolo).
  20. It’s a really wonderful thing that Quirky Nomads moved to Canada – they don’t get to vote in the U.S. any more.
  21. I don’t protest, I vote.
  22. I believe that: "By settling for abortion instead of working for the social changes that would make it possible to combine children and career, pro-abortion feminists have agreed to participate in a man's world under male terms. Pro-abortion feminists have corrupted feminism by embracing standards which hold that it is permissible to treat "unequals" unequally and for the powerful to oppress the weak. Women deserve better." ~ Connie Roland Alt and Judy Fetters
  23. I believe the government has no business legislating on anything having to do with abortion.
  24. The 5 worst politicians of our day are: Russ Feingold, Ted Kennedy, George Bush, John McCain, and Eliot Spitzer
  25. The 5 best politicians of our day are: oops – there are no best politicians.
  26. No good deed goes unpunished…or unrewarded.
  27. I don’t feel guilty about making money or having money.
  28. Oftentimes the less money people have, the more they like to talk about it. I believe the converse of this is true as well.
  29. People who spend a lot aren’t necessarily rich – they just spend a lot.
  30. If you want to know how much money I have, see belief number 28
  31. Bloggers tend to be a really angry group of people. I’m glad they “blog it out.”
  32. Blogging is therapy.
  33. Without trust, there can be no successful economy or society.
  34. The zero-sum-game is a falsehood.
  35. Watch out for those who constantly harp about conflicts of interest – they usually have plenty of their own.
  36. If you don’t vote, you can’t complain …about anything really.
  37. Half the people we meet will never like us.
  38. Only a tiny handful of people are those I can count on for the really important things in life. I don’t know who most of those people are.
  39. Squam is my most amazing place. I’d like to live there all summer.
  40. Fiber is fabulous.
  41. The needle is one of man’s greatest inventions, right behind compound interest (with apologies to Albert Einstein).
  42. Labor unions used to be useful. I am thankful they existed. Now they are no longer what they used to be – useful. They need to change or go away.
  43. We have no clue how the other 99% of the world lives. That’s ok, because we will start to figure it out soon - see belief number 5.
  44. Fingernails are invaluable tools. When will airport security start to confiscate them?
  45. Flying used to be fun.
  46. Hotel bedspreads should be banned from society.
  47. Looking like a slob is a cry for attention.
  48. Life after 40 is better than life before 40.
  49. Age is just a number.
  50. Real age is a state of mind.
  51. Those who get it mostly wrong: the weatherman, the Democrats, Sean Hannity, the daily newspapers, the TV reporters, and…add your own list on your own blog page.
  52. Those who get it mostly right: Brian Lamb, George Will, Christopher Hitchens, Luke, Martin Luther, Condi (notice I only said “mostly”), you and me.
  53. The best pie is strawberry rhubarb.
  54. The best ice cream is chocolate.
  55. It’s good to be on time.
  56. It’s good to take vacations….regularly.
  57. Children should be quiet in church or leave.
  58. Adults should be quiet in church or leave.
  59. Politics do not belong in church.
  60. Would Jesus go to church? (Yes I know that is a question and not a belief).
  61. If I live to be 85 I will take up sky-diving (with apologies to Fran Pullano for stealing and modifying her idea).
  62. Rap music is the worst!
    ….more to come

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love 'em Kate - this is a great idea.

I love your blog - even if it is mostly knitting - a topic I know absolutely nothing about :) It is fun to see another member of the family in the blogosphere.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home